Visitor Question

Burned While Working in a Restaurant…

Submitted By: Michelle (Scotia, NY USA)

I work for a national restaurant chain. I had to heat something in the microwave and someone already had grits in there. They had filled the bowl too high and when I pulled them out I got burned on my arm and fingers. There was no cover on the grits bowl to prevent this from happening.

I went to an urgent care place right away and had 2nd degree burns. Now I developed a staph infection from the burns and am out of work once again. Can I sue for being burned in this way at work?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Michelle,

Well, hopefully you won’t have to sue. Under the facts you present you should be entitled to compensation for your injuries and the wages you may lose while undergoing treatment. Be sure to document your injuries. Be sure to see your own personal physician. Burning can often lead to scarring. You don’t want to overlook that possibility.

What happened to you is serious. We suggest you do not sign any type of settlement agreement, or sign any documents until such time as you have had time to think about the entire incident. Once you sign a Release you may lose all your rights to receive compensation.

There are times when a person can stand up for themselves and represent their own interests.

Then there are times when seeking the advice and counsel of a Personal Injury Attorney is the better decision.

Under these circumstances it wouldn’t hurt to consult with a Personal Injury Attorney. Most will not charge you for an initial office consultation. It is better to know your legal rights before deciding on your course of action.

Learn more here: Burned at Work Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

One comment on “Burned While Working in a Restaurant…

  1. Anonymous says:

    I ate at a restaurant and was served my food. When I was reaching for the barbeque my drink turned over and a bowl of baked beans spilled onto my legs.

    I went to the doctor the next day and I had 2nd degree burns. The beans were so hot that they burned me though my pants. The pain is still there and I was wondering if I should sue for my pain and suffering.

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *