Visitor Question

Burned with Hot Water by a Co-worker…

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

My coworker and I were walking down the hall together. She was carrying a cup of hot water from the coffee pot which she was taking to her desk to make tea. We bumped into each other and the water caused a 2nd degree burn on my arm and a very large scar that is still there.

I did go to the emergency room and was treated for the 2nd degree burn. I also had to go back and forth to the doctor for treatment. Who is liable in this situation? Can I sue the company for my co-worker’s negligence for not having a cover on the cup?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

First go to your local medical clinic or hospital’s emergency room.

You need to identify the injuries and learn whether they will result in scarring.

Before you take any other action you must preserve and protect your health.

Once you are sure of the status of your health inquire and find out if your employer carries workers compensation insurance. If your employer carries workers compensation insurance contact the insurance representative and file a claim. You won’t need to sue anyone.

If your employer doesn’t carry workers compensation insurance ask for the name of their business liability insurance company. You can file a claim with them just as you would with the workers compensation insurance company. Once you file a claim you will be contacted by the insurance company’s insurance claims adjuster. She will take your statement and proceed from there.

The burn itself isn’t worth a substantial amount of compensation. But if you have been scarred the answer will be different. You may be entitled to an additional amount of compensation.

Learn more here: Injured by Negligent Coworker

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *