Visitor Question

Can I be sued personally for my son’s auto accident?

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

My son is under my auto insurance. As he was backing into a parking spot a woman walked behind the car and was hit. She was taken to the hospital before the police arrived. My son had no information about her other than the fact she was speaking and was going to get up but was told not to get up.

When the police came a person said they knew her and gave her information to the police saying she was pregnant and badly hurt. Could I be sued personally for any injuries she might have?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Presuming the injured woman decides to file suit there are several possible outcomes.

1. If your son was a minor at the time of the accident you may be exposed to personal liability.

2. If you were the owner of the car at the time of the accident you may also be exposed to liability.

If none of the above scenarios apply you should be protected from any personal liability.

Learn more here: Parental Liability

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck!


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *