Visitor Question

Can I find out if a particular drug contributed to my father’s death?

Submitted By: Anonymous (Louisiana)

Not really sure what to do… My dad recently passed away after having numerous (10+) by-passes and being on dialysis for more than six years.

He also had diabetes, which also contributed to his death.

He was a deacon in the church and my mom is very religious as well. Very humble people who would never say an ill word to anyone.

Also, he was a highly respected business owner who didn’t need extra money.

Anyway, long story short, my brother and I would see these legal commercials come on TV that said things like “if you’ve been on this drug and had this happened to you call…” or “if you’ve had a heart attack or died after using this drug, call…”

My dad was on several of these drugs, and he would just say that he didn’t want to make anyone mad by calling. It was like he was afraid that nurses and doctors would learn that he called and not try to help him anymore.

Even the hospital and doctor that did his by-passes had a huge lawsuit on the drug company, but yet my dad would do nothing.

My dad passed away about 5 months ago, after a LONG battle with his medical conditions.

We really don’t need the money either, but I know lots of money has been set aside for court cases of some drug company lawsuits.

And we know that many things that happened to him contributed to his death.

Not sure what to do, just need some guidance. Is there anything we can do legally? Can we sue the drug companies for the negative side effects of the drugs that caused my father’s medical conditions? Thank you for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Before moving ahead it’s important to know which drugs your dad was taking and in what dosages. Once you identify the drugs, you can go online and see if there are any class actions pending against the pharmaceutical companies which developed and marketed the drugs.

If there are any class actions pending against the pharmaceutical company which manufactured and sold the drugs, you can “opt-in,” which is a fancy term meaning join the class action. Doing so will entitle you to join other plaintiffs who believe the drug or drugs resulted in injury or death to a loved one.

There are several websites which make available information about class actions. We have listed a few of them below. You can also check with the Federal Drug Administration for information about the drugs.

Finally, you can also go to the Louisiana Attorney General and inquire about the status of any lawsuits against the pharmaceutical company or companies.

Here are the respective websites:


Federal Drug Administration

Office of the Attorney General – State of Louisiana

Learn more here: Dangerous Drug Lawsuits

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *