Visitor Question

Can I see a chiropractor for minor neck injury after rear end accident?

Submitted By: Nicole (District Heights, Maryland)

A driver hit the rear of my car on Monday 3/19 . The car damage was minor and their claim adjuster looked at it yesterday. But the hard jolt caused me and my passenger neck and shoulder pain.

We both went to urgent care later that same evening. I got x-rays and was diagnosed with a cervical sprain of ligament. I was given some meds and took 2 days off work. I was instructed to follow up with my doctor in one week. I am going to follow up with my doctor since I still have symptoms.

Can I see a chiropractor Monday after I see my doctor? I was told to provide my claim number for any medical care I receive. I have returned to work since I work in an office, but I still have mild pain so I’m taking muscle relaxers.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Nicole,

You do not need permission to see a chiropractor, especially if your treating physician suggests you do so. However, to be sure the driver’s insurance company will pay for the chiropractor’s bills, first speak with the claims adjuster handling your claim. Insurance companies can be hesitant to cover chiropractic expenses.

It is possible the claims adjuster dealing with your vehicle damage issues may not be the same adjuster handling the injury aspect of your claim. Insurance companies often have 2 different adjusters handle separate aspects of a claim. Be sure to retain the claim number. You will need it when dealing with the insurance company.

Based on the facts, your injuries appear to be “soft tissue.” Soft tissue injuries are those which include less serious injuries, including minor cuts and abrasions, sprains and strains to ligaments, tendons, and muscles, whiplash, minor burns, and the like.

More serious “hard injuries” include bone fractures, deep gashes often requiring stitches, disfigurement, 3rd degree burns, head trauma, and the like.

Be sure to retain copies of receipts for prescription and over the counter medications, a list of mileage traveled back and forth to treatment, and keep track of your lost wages, if you are unable to work while you are undergoing treatment. These expenses, and others directly related to your treatment should be reimbursed by the driver’s insurance company.

Learn more here: Maryland Car Accident Guide

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *