Visitor Question

Can I Sue My Employer for Unfair Treatment?

Submitted By: Ryan (Joliet, IL, US)

I slipped and fell while working at a chain restaurant as I was going into the back. There was no wet floor sign so I had no idea that someone had mopped back there.

I twisted my leg all the way back and then was able to get up. I let the manager know I had fallen. He asked me if I was okay and I responded “it hurts but I guess I can keep working.” The pain began to increase so I asked him if I could take my break. He said “I tell you when to take your break” and made me stand for another hour.

Would it be okay to sue my employer? I feel like I was unfairly treated. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Ryan,

It would be nice if there was a legal way to make people answer for their rudeness. Regrettably, that’s not the way it works. Go to your local clinic, emergency room, or doctor. Check to be sure your leg is alright. The doctor may want to run some tests, possibly an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) test.

There is no reason you should take a chance with a leg injury. The remote possibility of spine fractures is always present. If you don’t want to go see a medical doctor you might consider seeing a Chiropractor.

Whatever you do, don’t ignore the possibility of permanent injury. It’s not worth it. If you incur any medical, chirporactic, or out of pocket expenses like medicines, bandages etc, take them to your employer and ask him to reimburse you.

If he doesn’t you can always consider suing him in Small Claims Court. But before you do though, give it a lot of thought. Once you start the legal process it will be hard to turn back.

Learn more here: Reasons to Sue Your Employer

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *