Visitor Question

Can my workmans comp case be re-opened?

Submitted By: Michelle (USA)

I hurt my back approximately 1.5 years ago at work. They sent me to 2 doctors. The last one told me there was nothing else he could do after therapy and steroid injections ,except put me on a permanent 25 lb weight limit with occasional bending and squatting.

The very next day a lady from workmans comp called to inform me they were closing my case, but I continue to hurt worse and worse all the time. I’m on medications every day and my personal doctor wants to do another MRI.

Is there anything I can do to re-open my case? I do not recall signing off on anything. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Michelle,

If you have already signed the Workmans Compensation Release Form and have received the final compensation for your injuries there is really nothing more you can do. If you are still receiving treatment and haven’t signed the final release documents you certainly can continue to pursue your case for the additional compensation necessary for your treatment and recovery.

Just because the Workmans Compensation insurance representative told you she was “closing your case” doesn’t mean it is closed for you. Tell the insurance representative you are still in pain and demand to see another of the doctors on your employer’s approved physician’s list. You have that right.

After seeing the doctor if she believes you are not fully healed and may require additional treatment, then your workmans compensation case should remain open. Don’t sign any release papers. Be careful before you sign any documents related to your case until you have read and understood every word in them.

If you have questions don’t be afraid to ask. Although not required, you can always seek the advice and counsel of a Workmans Compensation Attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. This is your health, and you have a right to fully protect it.

Learn more here: Back Injuries at Work

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

2 thoughts on “Can my workmans comp case be re-opened?

  1. Anonymous says:

    Do not sign anything. Ask your doctor if you need surgery, if he says no then ask to be sent for a 2nd opinion and tell the doctor about your pain. Tell the workmans comp adjuster to go to hell. Call a lawyer, do not do anything that is going to make your back or pain worse.

  2. Anonymous says:


    Call a lawyer, that workman’s comp lady is not your friend, they do not care about you or your family, they only care about saving the company they insure Money – it’s all about Money to them.

    I’ve had 3 back surgeries and my 2nd one caused me brain damage and an abnormal movement disorder (which workman’s comp thinks I’m faking). Anyways, call a lawyer and don’t sign anything from workman’s comp.

    Save all your receipts and keep track of your mileage back and forth to Doctors offices, pharmacies, therapy, etc. They are also supposed to pay you mileage for this as well. It’s not much but everything helps.

    Good luck to you and your family.


Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *