Visitor Question

Claim for chronic back pain from way too much chair time?

Submitted By: A (Colorado, USA)

I have been a medical transcriptionist for over 24 years now, and my back has so much chronic pain I now have to work on a laptop where I can sit back on my couch and put my legs/feet into different positions all day long.

I can no longer sit in an office chair for more than 15 minutes at a time.

My pain has been chronic now for close to 15 years or longer.

I reported this when it first started, but I was refused workers’ comp. They said my job has nothing to do with my back pain.

In the meantime, I continue to work and just about cry every day from the pain I am suffering.

I don’t know what to do, and I don’t know if there is anything I can do.

Do you have any thoughts?

Can I file a claim for this chronic pain? What if they deny it again? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear A,

It is difficult to understand why the workers’ comp insurance company denied your work-related injury claim. With as many years as you have invested in your work duties, it’s hard to deny your back injury was a direct result of your job duties.

Under Colorado workers’ compensation laws, you have a right to request a second medical opinion. Contact your workers’ comp representative and ask for the names of additional doctors on the approved list.

While unfortunatly many of these doctors are placed and maintained on the list because of their “conservative” medical opinions (mostly in favor of the insurance company and against the injured worker), you must pursue this avenue before moving on to the next step.

If a second medical opinion results in another denial of your claim, you can either seek out your own doctor and/or seek the advice and counsel of several experienced workers’ comp attorneys. Most do not charge for initial office consultations.

Before seeing the attorneys, be sure to make copies of all your medical records and bills. Bring them with you so the attorneys can review them. After doing so you will have a much better idea of the viability of your claim. If the attorneys believe your claim is strong, they can negotiate with the insurance company, or ask for an administrative hearing.

Learn more here: Back Injuries at Work

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *