Visitor Question

Compensation for Loss of Eyesight in Right Eye?

Submitted By: Steve (Jamestown, KY)

I was working at a boatyard and got hit in the head with a wench. I was winching a dock out of the water at the time. Part of my skull was crushed and as a result I lost sight in my right eye. I was just wondering what kind of compensation I could expect for a serious permanent injury like this?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Steve,

Without substantially more evidence it would be very difficult for us to estimate the amount of compensation for your injuries. Although it seems readily apparent your injuries are very serious, their extent and cause must be proven to be a result of the negligence of the boatyard, its employees or agents.

The next subject to deal with is the question of contributory negligence:

-Will the boatyard say in defense of themselves, that you somehow contributed to your own injuries?

-Will they say you were warned about performing your job a certain way, and then deviated from the direction they gave you?

-Will they say you misused the winch causing it to strike you?

-Will they say you were intoxicated at or about the time of the injuries?

If the boatyard is determined to be at fault, and you were not in any manner contributorily negligent, the settlement would normally be anywhere from 3x-10x times the amount of your medical bills, or “Hard costs”. If the boatyard doesn’t have enough insurance there reasons the possibility you may have to sue the owner personally for any amounts above his insurance policy limits.

Learn more here: Eye Injuries at Work

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *