Visitor Question

Compensation for permanent nerve damage in my hand?

Submitted By: Jillian (Chicago, IL)

I work for the post office, in the warehouse where the mail is sorted through a machine. The machine was was jammed with mail, so we turned it off, and while I went to unjam the mail that was stuck, my supervisor turned the machine back on and it sucked my hand in.

I went immediately to the ER and got stitches. Shortly after, the swelling got so bad they removed the stitches, then had to restitch me later. I am still going to therapy, and my doctors believe I have permanent nerve damage. I was off of work for 30 days, and still they have not paid me my lost wages.

I have filed every form that is necessary, in the right times, and have been calling non-stop, but still haven’t received anything. How to I get paid? Am I entitled to a disability claim? How do I find out what’s going on with my federal workers’ comp? Thanks for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Jillian,

Contact your union steward. A union steward’s job is to represent the best interests of the workers. That’s why you pay union dues.

Clearly you need assistance. Your union steward can contact your supervisor, or go directly to the insurance company. In so doing, your union steward can help to expedite the wages you desperately need. In the alternative, you can contact the insurance company yourself.

Whether or not you are entitled to federal disability benefits will be entirely based on your doctor(s) determination of the existence of a disability. Without your doctor(s) support, you will likely not be entitled to disability benefits.

In the event your claim federal workers’ compensation claim is denied, or if you disagree with your doctor(s) diagnosis and prognosis, contact an experienced workers’ comp attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. Moreover, unless the attorney succeeds in your claim, you will owe nothing.

Learn more here: Federal Workers' Compensation Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *