Visitor Question

Compensation for Scarred Finger?

Submitted By: Alyssa (Orlando, Florida)

While working at a restaurant in Orlando, I was emptying a glass of ice in the “dishes” area and the glass broke and a piece fell on my thumb. It was heavy enough to cut pretty deep, about a 1 inch gash between the two knuckles of my thumb.

Is the restaurant responsible for paying a settlement? Should I get extra compensation because of the scar I now have?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Alyssa,

Hopefully you reported the incident and a written incident report was created. If so you are on the right track. You mentioned scarring. To verify scarring as a basis for a claim the scar must be documented. Documentation should include a written Medical Narrative from a dermatologist or Plastic surgeon.

The Medical Narrative will include a Diagnosis and Prognosis of your injury. A Diagnosis is a medically specific description of your injuries. A Prognosis will include a medically specific description of what the future will hold for you.

This will include the manner in which the scarring will be treated. The cost of the treatment, and the amount of time it will take to heal.

If you do have verifiable scarring and decide to go ahead with the treatment, you will have to be confident the restaurant will agree to pay for the costs of the treatment, your lost wages, while recovering, and any out of pocket expenses, such as prescription medications, bandages, and the like.

If the restaurant will not agree to be responsible for all these costs you will have to decide if you want to file suit.

Learn more here: All About Workers Comp Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *