Visitor Question

Daughter had Car Accident with My Uninsured Car…

Submitted By: Anonymous (North Carolina)

We live in North Carolina. My daughter had an accident while there was a short lapse paying my auto insurance premiums. She drove a car that is in my name but was uninsured. I was out of town when it happened.

The police officer said she was guilty, even though she said it was raining and my daughter hydroplaned. The insurance company brought the case to court and now there is a judgement against both of us. My daughter must pay over $7,000 dollars. The letter also said that our licenses will be revoked.

What should I do? Can my license be revoked even though it was my daughter driving the car without my permission? My driving record is completely clean. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

The State of Carolina’s Motor Vehicle Laws, specifically, sec. 20-16 (Authority of Division to Suspend License) specify some of the reasons a person’s drivers license can be suspended.

Some of those include:

  • Not responding to a Division of Motor Vehicles notice
  • Not appearing in court
  • Obtaining a license or learner’s permit under false pretense
  • Betting or loaning a car for the purpose of racing
  • Refusal to submit to a breath test
  • Failing to pay traffic tickets, fines
  • Having a civil judgment filed against you for property damage which occurred while without insurance.
  • Speeding tickets.
  • Allowing an unlicensed person to drive a motor vehicle.

Some of these include an accumulation of points.

Because we don’t know if you have accumulated any other points, or have any other reasons for suspension it will be difficult for us to comment on the exact reasons for your suspension.

Learn more here: Uninsured Motorist Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *