Visitor Question

Delayed Injuries After a Car Accident?

Submitted By: Cindy (Arlington, VA)

I was involved in an accident where the other driver was at fault. He rolled out of a driveway with no headlights on and no reverse lights. It was still dark and I did not see him so I hit him.

It was determined to be his fault and he received a citation for “entering a roadway without using proper signals and failure to use the required equipment (head lights/reverse lights) while operating on state property.”

I did not go to the hospital but I’m afraid that I might feel results later from the crash. What can I do to cover me in the event that injuries surface later?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Cindy,

It appears a Police Officer was called to the scene. That means a Police Report exists. It would be a good idea to contact the Police Department and ask them for a copy of that report. There should be a nominal charge of about $2.00 dollars.

Your question seems to imply that at or about the time of the collision you did not seek medical attention, and have not through the date of this question. If you have incurred some medical bills or related out of pocket expenses, you should send them to the driver and ask him to pay them. His name and address will be on the Police Report. He will normally turn over your request to his insurance company so they can pay you.

If you haven’t sought medical attention since the date of the collision, don’t worry. There is a legal term referred to as the Statute of Limitations. The term refers to the amount of time a person has to file a lawsuit if their case is not settled. In Virginia the period is 2 years. After 2 years a person loses their right to sue.

Hopefully you will not experience any latent symptoms from the collision and will not have to consider filing a lawsuit. But if the symptoms do appear and you incur medical bills and other expenses then now you know the amount of time you have to seek counsel or settle the case.

Learn more here: Broken Traffic Laws

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck!


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *