Visitor Question

Does my pain and inconvenience of bed rest mean anything?

Submitted By: Sue (Fulleron, California)

I was sideswiped at 40 mph. The other driver hit me on the passengers side of my car. Now I have a portion of my neck and shoulder in pain along with right wrist pain. I was involved in a previous hit and run but didn’t seek treatment.

I also have rheumatoid arthritis which makes my joints ultra sensitive.

I’ve been resting and taking my prescribed pain medicine. I was due to drive to Arizona tomorrow however my shoulder and wrist will suffer greatly. Do I have a claim or should I just let it go?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Sue,

Based on the facts you present, it appears the other driver was at fault. Hopefully the police were dispatched to the scene. If so, a police report was generated. Be sure to contact the Fullerton Police Department to request a copy of the accident report.

The police accident report will likely have within it a drawing made by the police officer depicting the scene as it was at the time of the collision. In addition, the report will list any traffic citations which may have been issued.

Before leaving on your trip to Arizona, be sure to see a doctor. Victims of car accidents often do not experience injury symptoms for hours, and sometimes even days after the crash.

Be sure to contact the other driver’s insurance company and report the accident. This will result in a claim being opened. Once that occurs the claims adjuster will contact you to discuss the accident.

Be sure to tell the adjuster you were injured in the accident and will send any medical bills to him or her. At a minimum the claim is worth pursuing to have the damage to your car repaired. More importantly, if you have sustained injuries, you need to have those medical bills paid as well.

Learn more here: California Car Accident Guide

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *