Visitor Question

Driver who fled later called police?

Submitted By: Leslie (Redding, CA)

My daughter was recently involved in a hit and run, where the driver of the vehicle that hit her in a cross walk left without giving any sort of information.

He later contacted the police to report the incident, well after it had taken place and I had already contacted the police myself.

I do not know what my options are as the officer I spoke with seemed to think that because the driver “didn’t mean to” hit my daughter that there was no need to file a lawsuit over his negligence. This doesn’t seem right. What can I do about this? Thank you for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Leslie,

The police officer you spoke with quite obviously was not dispatched to the scene of the hit and run. From the facts you present, no one called 911 at the time of the collision, nor were any police officers dispatched to the scene. This implies your daughter wasn’t injured, or if she was, her injuries were minor.

While you can always file a lawsuit based on negligence, to succeed in that lawsuit will require a showing of damages. Damages can include your daughter’s medical or therapy bills, out-of-pocket expenses (for such items as medications, bandages, etc.), lost wages, and her pain and suffering. Without damages, your daughter’s lawsuit will fail.

In the context you provide, the police officer’s comments were inappropriate. It is difficult to understand why the officer would make such a statement.

There is another possibility. For the officer to say the driver didn’t mean to hit your daughter may have been predicated on the officer’s belief your daughter may have been negligent in crossing the street at a place other than an intersection or area where pedestrians are permitted to cross.

Section 21950 of California’s motor vehicle code states in part…

“(a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

(b) This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of using due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.”

You certainly have the right to file a complaint against the police officer. To do so, contact the Redding Police Department at (530) 225-4200.

Learn more here: Hit and Runs / Leaving the Scene

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *