Visitor Question

Electric Shock at Work…

Submitted By: Derrick (Tampa Fl)

I make car batteries at my job. A table of batteries was turned on by another worker right when I was removing the wire from them. My co-worker made a mistake but I paid for it.

I couldn’t use my arm for about three weeks. I now have headaches and still have some weakness in the arm. Also, when I wake up in the morning my entire right side is numb for a while and my arm remains weak. It gets better as I go through my day, but it wasn’t like that before. This occurred on 7/25/11.

Is there anything I can do about this? What if my arm stays like this forever? Thanks for any information you can give on what I can do.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Derrick,

The first issue to consider is whether your employer carries workers compensation insurance. If your employer does carry workers compensation insurance you should address that issue before pursuing the next step. If your employer has workers compensation insurance there should be an insurance representative available, whether on your work premises or at another location.

Contact the insurance representative and file your claim. Once you do you will have access to one or more doctors on your employer’s list of approved doctors.

Additionally, if the doctors order that you stay away from work for a certain period of time you may also have a right to receive a majority of your wages during the time you are either treating or recovering, as long as those times are approved by your employer’s doctor.

Workers compensation laws prohibit an employee from suing an employer. Negligence is not a necessary requisite for compensation from workers compensation.

If your employer doesn’t have workers compensation you will have a right to file a lawsuit to recover those amounts for your medical bills and related costs. Those costs can include out of pocket expenses such as prescription and over the counter medications, lost wages and an amount for pain and suffering.

Learn more here: Injured by Negligent Coworker

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *