Visitor Question

False statement about criminal charges filed against me?

Submitted By: Mark (Beverly Hills, CA)

I was Director of Operations for a Limousine company in Beverly Hills. I was terminated for filing a complaint with the State of California Public Utilities Commission. The owner sent an email to a customer stating the LAPD had filed Extortion charges against me. This is of course untrue.

Do I have a Defamation case of either Defamation per se or Libel? If so, what can I do about it? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Mark,

It appears you have the foundation of a very strong defamation by slander claim against the company owner. Moreover, because the company owner falsely accused you of having committed a crime, and did so to a third party, the defamation may be “per se.”

By telling the third party he filed a claim with LAPD of Extortion, he effectively and constructively said you committed what is called a “crime of moral turpitude.” That is a very serious accusation.

In your case, the facts seem to be serious enough, and the damage to your reputation extensive enough, to require the assistance of a personal injury attorney with experience in defamation cases. Do some research and find several attorneys.

Because most attorneys will not charge for an initial office consultation, you can get several opinions about the legitimacy of your claim, and the probability of success.

If the company owner told one person you are a criminal, it’s likely he may have said the same to other persons. Your attorney will be able to initiate an investigation to build such evidence against the company owner.

Learn more here: Defamation of Character

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck!


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *