Visitor Question

Faulty Playground Equipment Caused My Son’s Head Injury…

Submitted By: Cindy (Eugene, OR)

My 15 yr. old son was playing on the swing with other kids and the swing set broke and the top steel bar fell and hit him in the head. The wood that held the bar on was rotten.

He missed 2 months of school and has continuing medical problems due to this incident. This happened in April 2010 in Bremerton, Washington where I was living in HUD housing. Should I sue HUD housing for faulty playground equipment that caused my son’s head injury? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Cindy,

Whenever an accident occurs on public property, the person you should be suing is the property owner. In this case, is the property owned by the Department of Housing and Urban Development? If so, then you should absolutely be submitting a claim to them.

Be advised, however that they are a federal government agency. Many government agencies have administrative requirements that must first be met before you can sue them. This is called “exhausting administrative remedies” and it will be a bar to recovery if you fail to follow certain steps.

This is not simply filling out an incident report. Usually it requires completing a standardized form that can be found in a local HUD office or on-line.

Another issue that you may encounter is:

1. whether your son (at 15) was using the swing set in a foreseeable manner, and

2. whether your son exceeded a height/weight requirement.

These are not necessarily going to stop a claim, but are certainly things to consider that may limit liability.

Learn more here: Defective Playground Equipment

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *