Visitor Question

Hit and Run Injures Child…

Submitted By: Tomika (Chicago, Illinois)

My son was hit by a car while crossing the street and was taken away by ambulance to the hospital. The driver who hit him left the seen before the police and I got there. The police said I will be notified when they catch the guy, but other than that what else can I do? Thanks for any info you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Tomika,

While nursing your son back to health it is important to keep track of every medical bill and out of pocket expense related to his injury and recovery. Medical bills include ambulance, emergency room and hospital stay bills. Out of pocket expenses include the costs which fall in between those bills. They include medicine, bandages and even the costs for parking and gasoline used when caring for your son.

You should also not wait for the police to notify you. We are not suggesting you seek out the driver yourself. We are suggesting you find out which detective is leading the investigation and develop a relationship so she knows you are not going away. You should continue to speak with her at least once a week asking her if she has any new leads and if so what they are. The old expression “The squeakiest wheel gets greased first” applies in these types of cases.

At the same time it would be in your son’s best interests for you to seek the advice of a qualified Personal Injury Attorney.

You will not be charged any legal fees for an initial office consultation. The Attorney will confirm what we have said here and may offer additional advice.

Hopefully there will come a day soon when the police find the driver but for the interim being prepared for that eventuality is quite important. The State of Illinois like most other states has a 2 year time limit or “Statute of Limitations”.

The Statute of Limitations means an injured party has up to 2 years from the date of the injury within which to either settle their case or file a lawsuit to preserve their legal rights. This may appear impossible because you don’t know who to sue and may not find out who that is until the 2 year time period has elapsed.

There is a legal remedy and your Attorney will explain to you how it operates. A skilled Attorney will file a “John Doe” lawsuit before the 2 year time limit expires. Doing so “tolls” the Statute of Limitations. That means you will not have to worry about the 2 year time limit expiring. The lawsuit can be continued with a Judge’s permission for about as long as it takes for the police to locate the at-fault driver.

Learn more here: Hit and Runs / Leaving the Scene

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *