Visitor Question

How do I report a negligent school?

Submitted By: Alisa (Conway, SC)

I was a teacher who was assaulted by a student in high school. He knocked me to the ground to get out of the door. I reported the incident to the school administrators and his parents. No action was taken to discipline the student.

Eventually, I witnessed this student almost punch a boy unconscious with one strike to the face. There were many witnesses. I immediately called the administration to intervene and they did nothing for the student who was punched (he did not punch back). The perpetrator was a football player and his parents were “close friends” of the administrators.

I suspect the parents of the football player were paying the administrators in money, drugs, or gifts of some sort to keep them from calling the police on the boy. The whole ordeal made me sick to witness as a teacher. The victim had no power to confront the perpetrator.

If I said something or the victim said something against the bully then it would have been ignored by the school. What could we do or how could we report this crime in order to seek justice? How do we address this behavior and the school’s negligence? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Alisa,

From the facts you present, it appears the student who assaulted you may have violated South Carolina Criminal Code Section 16-3-600(E)(1) Assault and Battery – 3rd Degree. A conviction for violating this law carries a punishment of up to thirty (30) days in jail, a $500.00 fine, or both.


after the assault you should have contacted the City of Conway Police Department, either by going to the department in person, or by calling them at 843-248-1790. By so doing, the police would have initiated a primary investigation into the assault and would have taken appropriate action, including, but limited to arresting the student.

Additionally, immediately after the assault you should have contacted Mrs. Velna Allen – Acting School Principal at Conway High School. Doing so would likely have prompted a second investigation into the incident.

Finally, contact the Horry School District Administration and file a complaint against the student. It is important to put the administrators on notice that you have been assaulted by a student. Doing so so will prompt a third investigation into the incident.

The Horry School District’s Administrative offices are located at:

335 Four Mile Road.

Conway SC 29528 Telephone 843-218-1740.

Hopefully, by your bringing this matter to the attention of the police, the school district and the principal, the student will be either reprimanded, arrested, or expelled from school.

Learn more here: School Fights and Liability

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *