Visitor Question

How long does it take for a claim settlement?

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

The other party was at fault, but claims have not been paid for nearly 1 year. Is there a time frame within which insurance companies should honor claims against them?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Claims should not take a year, however I have seen it happen. Part of the problem with this is that you could be up against a statute of limitations and submitting a claim alone will not protect you against the statute of limitations running against you.

In your state, the SOL is likely 2-3 years. Even though you are working with an adjuster and attempting to settle your case, you may still need to file a lawsuit if you are getting close to the statute of limitations. If you do not do this, the statute may run out which will end your ability to settle your case.

Another option with a lengthy claim is to contact the insurance company and find out the name of the supervisor above your claims adjuster.

Re-submit all of your information to this person which will hopefully put pressure on the adjuster on your case to get things settled for you.

Learn more here: Types of Insurance Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck!


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *