Visitor Question

I Left the Scene of an Auto Accident…

Submitted By: Adrian (Phoenix, Arizona)

I was turning left at an intersection and hit an ongoing vehicle. I did not stop because I was frightened and drove away. I don’t have a license nor a permit. I will be turning 18 this December 2011. The damage was minimal, only a couple of scratches. Also, the vehicle belongs to my father.

What charges do I face? What should I do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Adrian,

In the State of Arizona the penalty for leaving the scene of an accident when property damage and not personal injury occurred is a jail sentence of up to 30 days and a fine not to exceed $500 dollars.

Additionally the Court may consider probation. The conditions of probation may include the payment of court costs and reimbursement, referred to as restitution.

The section of law which recounts your duties and obligations under the law is:


ARIZONA PENAL CODE Section: 28-662.

Accidents involving damage to vehicle; failure to stop; classification; driver license suspension.

A. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:

1. Immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to the accident scene as possible but shall immediately return to the accident scene.

2. Remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of section 28-663.

3. Make the stop without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.

B. A person failing to stop or comply with this section is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.

C. A court may order the department to suspend the license or permit to drive and any nonresident operating privilege of a person convicted under this section for one year.


We urge you to seek the immediate advice of a skilled Criminal Defense Attorney. There is a good chance a warrant may have already been issued for your arrest.

Learn more here: Hit and Runs / Leaving the Scene

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *