Visitor Question

Injured as a passenger in a RZR with drunk driver…

Submitted By: Ashley (Seymour, Indiana)

I was injured while riding passenger in an RZR when the driver, who was intoxicated, lost control and flipped the vehicle. I suffered a broken sternum and three compression fractures in my spine. The sternum break required surgery where they opened up my chest and put 2 steel plates in place to put my sternum back together.

I have been in the hospital, in excruciating pain, for almost a week now. This happened in North Vernon, IN. The driver claimed he has full coverage through State Farm and that the vehicle was street legal. What does this mean for me and all of my medical bills plus pain and suffering? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Ashley,

The Sate of Indiana requires drivers to carry the following minimum amounts of coverage:

  • $25,000 dollars for injuries typo one (1) person in one (1) accident
  • $50,000 dollars fore injuries two (2) or more persons in one (1) accident
  • $50,000 dollars uninsured motorist
  • $10,000.00 dollars in property damage

See the Indiana Car Insurance Statute

In the event the RZR off-road vehicle was driven on the roadways in Indiana, the driver would have had to carry the above limits. However, the State of Indiana does not require owners of Off-Road Vehicles to carry minimal insurance coverage when those vehicles are on private property.

In the event the driver is not insured, and you want to pursue your personal injury claim, you will have to proceed against the driver personally. If the driver was not the owner, then you have the right to pursue the owner and the driver for compensation.

Due to the seriousness of your injuries, if you do have to pursue the driver for damages, you must consult a personal injury attorney. There’s too much to lose in a case like yours to risk trying to handle it yourself.

Learn more here: Off-Road Vehicle Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *