Visitor Question

Injured on Neighbor’s Property…

Submitted By: Scott (Pardeevill, WI)

I was at my neighbors house when he was having a garage built by a garage building company. All of a sudden the roof collapsed on me breaking my foot and injuring my back. Should I seek lawyer for compensation or can I do it myself?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Scott,

You can represent yourself in a personal injury case. If your medical bills are equal to or less than $5,000 dollars you can take advantage of the Wisconsin Small Claims Courts.

To do so you should continue to seek medical care for your injuries. Do not feel you have to rush because the law in Wisconsin permits up to 2 years within which to file a lawsuit. You can either wait until you are fully recovered before making a demand on the contractor’s insurance company, or you can pursue your claim fully now.

Either way you should be sure to seek a financial amount which will cover not only your past and present medical bills, out of pocket expenses, and lost wages, but any future costs as well.

We suggest your demand on the insurance company be a multiple of at least 3 times your medical bills. Doing so will afford you some assurance of payment for your losses as well as enough for any future pain and suffering.

If for any reason you encounter problems with the insurance company you always have the right to consult with a Personal Injury Attorney. Skilled and reputable Personal Injury Attorneys do not charge a fee for an initial office consultation.

It is never too late to seek legal advice. Most Personal Injury Attorneys will be happy to advise you, whether they will ultimately represent you, or not.

Learn more here: Do You Need an Attorney?

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *