Visitor Question

Injured while helping a friend in his moving business…

Submitted By: Ed (Martinsburg, WV)

My friend does moving for He had a moving job and asked if I could help. While I was helping with the job, I injured my left arm and required surgery. I told my friend of the injury and that surgery was needed, but he said he is not responsible for my injury or expenses. He told me when doing jobs for there is no coverage for injuries.

My friend does have a business though in Hagerstown, Maryland and he advertises his store as well as moving and computer repairs. I don’t know what I can do to have my expenses and lost time from my full time job covered by him or his company. Is there anything I can do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Ed,

You can ask your friend for the name of his business’s insurance company and hope he will give it to you voluntarily. If he doesn’t you can always consider filing a lawsuit against him. Depending on the amount of your medical bills you can either file a lawsuit against him in Small Claims Court, or if necessary in a higher court.

In the State of Virginia the maximum amount or “jurisdiction” of the court is $5,000 dollars. If your medical bills, out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering are less than that you can probably file and pursue the lawsuit with an attorney. If the amount of your medical bills and additional compensation for out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering are higher than $5,000 dollars you will have to go to higher court.

If you go to a higher court you may have to consider retaining your own attorney. That’s because your friend’s insurance company will probably retain their own counsel to represent your friend.

Learn more here: Claims Against Employers' Liability Insurance

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *