Visitor Question

Insurance company only pays a maximum of $200 per week?

Submitted By: Anonymous (Washington)

I was a passenger in a car that was rear ended. I have a shoulder injury from the seat belt requiring surgery. I will miss at least 6 weeks of work after the surgery. I am an RN and I work full time.

I have been told by the insurance company that they only pay a maximum of $200.00 a week for lost wages! Is that even possible, or legal? Just wondering about that and what I should do to get proper compensation for my lost wages. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

To answer your questions will require knowledge of the terms of the driver or owner’s insurance policy. If the driver’s insurance policy limits lost wages to no more than $200 weekly, then that is all you will get from the driver’s insurance company. For more money, you will have to turn to the actual driver.

Insurance policies rarely limit lost wage compensation, especially when lost wages can be verified.

In the State of Washington, drivers must carry personal liability and property damage insurance coverage in the following minimum amounts:

– $25,000 for injuries to one (1) person in one (1) accident – $50,000 for injuries to two (2) or more persons in one (1) accident – $10,000 for property damage in one (1) accident

To read Washington’s car insurance statute go here: Washington Revised Statutes Section 46.29.090

If you have provided written verification from your employer of your lost wages during the period after the accident while you were treating and recovering, then the insurance company should compensate you accordingly.

If the insurance company persists in refusing to compensate you for your lost wages, seek out the opinion of several personal injury attorneys in your area. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. Take along your medical and therapy records and bills.

Once the attorneys have had a chance to review your documentation and ask you some questions, you will have a better idea of the viability of your claim and the probability of success.

Learn more here: Recovering Lost Wages After Injury

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *