Visitor Question

Insurance denying coverage because I was riding an electric bike?

Submitted By: David (MA)

I was hit by a car while riding an electric low speed bicycle (e-bike). I was traveling through a cross walk and I had the right of way when it happened. The insurance company won’t pay out on the Personal Injury Protection portion, because they’re saying my bicycle has a motor. The Registry of Motor Vehicles in Massachusetts says you do not need to register, insure or have a license to ride an e-bike.

Should the insurance company have to pay out on the PIP? What’s the law here? Is there anything I can do to get compensation for my injuries in this accident? Thanks for any information you can give regarding this issue.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear David,

Unfortunately, most personal injury protection insurance (PIP) does not cover:

The State of Massachusetts is a no-fault insurance state. Read your insurance policy carefully. You will likely find it also does not cover the above.

To read the Massachusetts law regarding Personal Injury Protection see:

Section 34M of Massachusetts General Laws

Learn more here: Bicycle-Car Collisions

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *