Visitor Question

Intentional Discrimination

Submitted By: Amanda (Traverse City, Michigan)

In March of 2009 a discrimination complaint was filed against the City housing commission. I have several documents proving that it was intentional and involved upper management as well as city commissioners. Michigan Department of Civil Rights/ Hud found “reasonable cause” after investigation discrimination had occurred. They are attempting to settle with an offer of ” not doing it anymore” and basically that is it.

This disability discrimination has devastated my life in so many ways. Because of it, every single member of the city government has scrutinized and has access to my personal medical history, my lifestyle, my financial affairs. This discrimination was committed with full knowledge it would most likely cause me harm. I need to write a demand letter or a letter of rejection, I am waiting on my “right to sue” letter that I need to obtain an attorney.

MDCR are wanting me to demand a specific dollar amount right now. I hold a wrath of documented proof the discrimination was willful and purposeful.I live in government housing,I do not feel safe here, because they are the discriminators in my case.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Amanda,

I don’t see the question here.

Are you asking for an amount to demand? Are you asking for a demand letter or letter of rejection?

As to the amount, as with all compensation issues of this nature, each jurisdiction places different settlement values on injuries.

That said, you should retain an attorney before sending any letters.

Why haven’t you retained an attorney yet?

Nowhere is it written that you have to wait until you makes a demand before retaining an attorney.

My recommendation is that you speak to an attorney – before sending any letters and even before you have any more communication with them.

Learn more here: Employment Discrimination Lawsuits

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *