Visitor Question

Liability for son punching a boy who was harassing our daughter?

Submitted By: Vicki (Middlesex county, NJ)

My son assaulted a boy at school that was harassing my younger daughter.

He broke the child’s nose. My son was suspended from school for 2.5 months, and he was arrested and charged with aggravated assault.

We hired a lawyer and he went to court. He was sentenced to 60 days suspended sentence and a year of probation.

We now received notice (from the same law firm that represented my son in his criminal case) from the mother of the child’s lawyer that they intend to sue my husband and I. Are they allowed to sue us for this? What are our rights? How can we defend ourselves? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Vicki,

It is our policy at not to interfere with the attorney-client

relationship. To do so would be inappropriate. Your son’s best interests would be served by heeding the advice and counsel of his attorney. If you’re not happy with his representation, you can seek a second opinion from another attorney in your area.

Generally speaking, anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone else, at any time, for just about any reason. That doesn’t mean they’ll win. Also, parents can be held responsible for the acts and omissions of their minor children when those acts or omissions result in injuries to third parties.

Being responsible means the parents may have to cover the resultant costs of the injury, often referred to as “Damages.” This can include the injured party’s medical and chiropractic bills, out of pocket expensess, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Here’s a more in-depth look at everything you can claim for damages.

Your best interests will served by seeking the counsel of your attorney.

Learn more here: School Fights and Liability

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *