Visitor Question

Minor Child Assaulted by Other Minors…

Submitted By: Tammy (Louisville, KY USA)

My minor son was walking to his friend’s house and was assaulted by 2 other minor boys.

A police report was taken.

I took my son to the ER for medical attention.

It was found that he had a concussion, abrasions, and a fractured nose.

I have filed charges against one of the minor boys that assaulted my son and will be pressing charges against the other one also.

I want to find out how these medical bills will be taken care of? Thank you for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Tammy,

In the State of Kentucky, as in most states, parents can be held responsible for the acts of violence their children perpetrate upon others. It is important for you to have copies of the police reports. From the facts you present your son’s best interest would be best served by filing a complaint against the other minor as well.

It is possible your medical bills may be covered by the parents’ homeowners insurance policies. Even if the attacks occurred off-site, sometimes homeowners insurance policies will cover the acts of children, especially for the injuries they may cause to others. Even if the homeowners insurance is not available, the assets of the children’s parents may be subject to a judgment rendered by a court.

There are some personal injury cases which can legitimately be pursued by the injured parties without the intervention of attorneys. Your case seem to require legal assistance. Most attorneys will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. That would be a good starting point. Once you speak with one or more attorneys you will be in a better position to know the pros and cons of pursuing legal action against the childrens’ parents.

You should know it may not be necessary to actually file a lawsuit. Many times these cases can be negotiated and settled with the insurance companies well before any lawsuit is filed.

Learn more here: Parental Liability for Injuries

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *