Visitor Question

Misdiagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease and Given Wrong Medication for 15 Years!

Submitted By: Melissa (Canandaigua, NY)

My mother was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson’s disease over 15 years ago, but they have only now (within the past year) admitted it was a misdiagnosis. She has now been diagnosed as having medication induced Parkinson’s because the meds she was on were not needed!

The medical records will prove a case that can’t loose with hundreds of ER visits and numerous opinions of her not having Parkinson’s, but no one (until recently) admitted it for fear of a lawsuit.

She has encountered everything imaginable because of this, a few examples being: loosing her marriage, her family, her ability to move around, and her mental state is awful. She is no longer the same person and has nothing. She has been treated badly on several occasions because doctors believed it to all be in her head, because it was obvious to them she did not have Parkinson’s.

She has spent many hours screaming in pain and was not prescribed pain medication. This also scarred me and my young children for many different reasons. She cannot currently come off the medication and may never be able to walk or take care of herself again.

Is it too late to file a lawsuit? What can be done?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Melissa,

The statute of limitations, or the maximum amount of time your mother would have to file a medical malpractice claim, is 2 1/2 years from the date of medical malpractice, or the date the medical malpractice could have been reasonably discovered.

From the facts you present it would appear your mother’s medical malpractice claim is within the statutory period. You and your mother should immediately gather up all your mother’s medical records and seek the advice and counsel of a medical malpractice attorney. Because the actual date of malpractice is yet undetermined, time is of the essence.

Most attorneys will not charge for an initial office consultation. You would be well-served by going online to make a list of the personal injury attorneys in your area whose practice concentrates on medical malpractice. Make appointments with several so you’ll be able to form a clear picture of the legal issues involved.

Do not delay and do not attempt to handle your mother’s case on your own. That would be a recipe for disaster. Attorneys can file subpoenas, take doctors’ depositions, and perform a great deal of additional pretrial discovery to properly prepare your mother’s case.

Learn more here: Claims & Lawsuits for Wrong Diagnosis

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *