Visitor Question

Misdiagnosed Wrist Fracture…

Submitted By: Evan (Eugene, Oregon, United States)

In January 2011 I fell and broke my elbow and wrist. I first went to urgent care and had x-rays done. They said the elbow was broken for sure but they weren’t sure about the wrist, it was swollen. They put a soft cast on it and put my arm in sling.

I was sent to an orthopedic specialist who put a hard cast on my wrist for three weeks, They then took x-rays and said they came back negative for a wrist break and that I’d be fine.

I went back a couple of weeks later complaining of the same wrist pain. They told me it was nerve damage and sent me on my way. Five months later another specialist took x-rays and told me it’s been broken the whole time and that it was broken for so long that now it had to be screwed together. I now have a screw in my wrist for life.

Can I write a personal letter to the original doctor asking to settle outside of court and that I have talked with a lawyer who is willing to take the case as far as need be? What would you recommend? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Evan,

You can certainly send a letter to the original doctor asking to settle out of court, and that you have spoken with an attorney – ONLY if you have actually spoken with an attorney of course. Starting off a case with a fabrication is a sure way to finish your case very quickly.

You are talking about medical malpractice.

Sending a letter to a doctor asking him to settle out of court is absurd. The chances of a doctor admitting he committed malpractice and then sending you a check is something which wouldn’t happen in a hundred years.

The best way to determine if you have a real personal injury medical malpractice claim is to

visit with a personal injury medical malpractice attorney. Lay out the facts. Bring along with you copies of all of your medical records and related medical bills. A thorough assessment of the facts and the law will afford you the best insight into whether you have a case, and if so, what the probability of settlement might be.

Learn more here: Claims & Lawsuits for Wrong Diagnosis

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *