Visitor Question

Mother-in-law, here on tourist visa, injured on my business property…

Submitted By: Anonymous (Texas)

My Mother in law slipped on a temporary structure I had placed at my business to prevent water from flowing into the building. She is a foreigner visiting on a visitor’s visa. She has no medical insurance in the USA and the fall caused a fracture to her vertebrae.

I have business liability insurance, and I personally cannot afford her medical expenses out of pocket. Would my mother be covered even though she’s here on a visa? How can I get her medical expenses covered? What is my best course of action here? Thank you for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

It doesn’t matter if a person injured on your premises is a U.S. citizen, a tourist here on a Visa, or even a person in the United States illegally. Your business liability insurance is meant to cover injuries sustained by any third parties who are legally on your business premises.

For legal purposes, your mother is classified as a “Licensee” who was legally upon your property. In a premises liability claim, a Licensee is a person who has permission from the property owner to be on the premises, not to transact business, but rather for social or personal reasons.

Property owners like yourself have a legal duty of care to do everything within reason to assure Licensees do not suffer undue harm or injuries.

In most cases, property owners will be held accountable, or “liable” for a Licensee’s injuries if:

– The property owner knows or should know there is a condition on the property which poses an unreasonable risk of harm to anyone who encounters it; and

– The property owner could not reasonably expect the Licensee to realize the existence of danger or how serious the danger is; and

– The property owner did not use reasonable care to eliminate the danger or to warn visitors that there was a dangerous condition on the property; and

– The licensee was unaware of the dangerous condition and the risk it posed.

Contact your business liability insurance carrier and submit your mother’s injury claim. From the facts you present, there is no evidence your mother-in-law contributed to her own injuries. As a result, your insurance carrier should cover her medical bills and related Damages.

Damages are unique to every person and every injury. Your mother-in-law’s damages can include her medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses (for such items as medications, crutches, wheelchairs, nursing costs, etc.), lost wages, and for her pain and suffering, sometimes referred to as emotional distress or mental anguish.

Learn more here: Injuries on Business Property

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *