Visitor Question

Motorcycle Accident in Construction Zone…

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

I was riding my motorcycle on my way to work at 4:30a.m. a couple weeks ago. I got about 3 minutes away from home when I was involved in a motorcycle accident.

Road construction had been going on down the road from my house for the past couple of weeks leading up to the accident. They were repaving and widening the road. Signs were posted about staying in your lane and the speed limit was 40 mph.

I was driving down the road when I hit a piece of uneven pavement and I felt myself going down. Me and my bike skidded about 50 feet with the bike landing on top of me. It took a couple cars driving by me for someone to finally stop and call 911. I was taken to my local hospital and then transported to a trauma center 40 minutes away. I had 4 broken ribs, a hole in my lung, and a punctured kidney. I was a very lucky man.

I spent 4 days in the hospital and am just taking it day by day to heal. I was told I can slowly go back to work part time whenever I feel ready to. I was wearing a helmet, leather coat, and gloves so that stuff really protected me. I’ve been driving my motorcycle for over 25 years and have never gotten into one accident with my bike.

My question to you is, do you think I would have a case against the construction crew because of the lip that was on the road causing me to crash? Please answer at your earliest convenience as to what you think. Thank you for your time.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

You may have a case. A lot will depend on who is actually at fault. You may have a case against the construction company, the city, the county, the state, or a combination of several of them.

It’s possible several of them were involved in some way with the construction. Sometimes funding for public construction projects comes from several entities.

At times representing yourself can be a viable option. Then there are those times when the skills of a Personal Injury Attorney are required.

In your case we suggest you seek out the services of a Personal Injury Attorney. She will know how to secure the information necessary to pursue a valid claim against the responsible parties.

There is also a good possibility whomever ends up as the defendant(s) will be well-represented by their own Attorneys. This is not like a car accident case where the issues are usually relatively clear cut.

Most Personal Injury Attorneys do not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. It will be in your best interest to visit with one.

Learn more here: Poor Road Quality and Conditions

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck!


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *