Visitor Question

My abusers coming to my work?

Submitted By: Lindsey (Spokane, WA)

I was sexually molested by my neighbors who were babysitting me while I was about 4 years old. The woman taking care of me allowed her teenage sons to take me in their room along with one of their own sisters. I was threatened not to tell anyone so I didn’t until I was 9 years old.

At that time the other girl agreed with my account of the story, but then later changed it because she didn’t wan her brother to go to jail. My dad had some drug problems at the time and they threatened to turn my dad in, and also threatened our lives, harassed us, and abused our animals until we had to sell our home and move when I was 11.

My parents at the time thought the best thing for me was to get me away from these people so they did. Fast forward to today, I am an RN at a rehab facility and the perp’s grandmother is in my facility!

I have PTSD from everything that they have done to me and now my employer tells me they can’t kick her out! I can’t work in this facility knowing that these people who abused me could come walking in anytime, or wait for me after work.

How can I get around this issue? I should not have to quit my job that I’ve worked so hard to get because of these horrible people. Is there anything I can do? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Lindsey,

Under Washington State Law, Section 4.16.340, Actions based on childhood sexual abuse:

“(1) All claims or causes of action based on intentional conduct brought by any person for recovery of damages for injury suffered as a result of childhood sexual abuse shall be commenced within the later of the following periods:

(a) Within three years of the act alleged to have caused the injury or condition;

(b) Within three years of the time the victim discovered or reasonably should have discovered that the injury or condition was caused by said act; or

(c) Within three years of the time the victim discovered that the act caused the injury for which the claim is brought:

PROVIDED, that the time limit for commencement of an action under this section is tolled for a child until the child reaches the age of eighteen years.”

When a victim of sexual abuse reaches the age eighteen (18) the victim has three (3) years within which to report the sexual abuse to the authorities. When the abuse is reported within that time, those who perpetrated the sexual abuse will likely be prosecuted. Those involved, even in a peripheral way, in the perpetrator of sexual abuse can also be prosecuted.

If you believe the woman of whom you speak was involved in the abuse, and you are within the statute of imitations, then you should to report the matter to the authorities.

Unfortunately, if the statutory time limit has passed, and you failed to report the abuse, there is really nothing you can do to have the woman expelled from the facility.

Learn more here: About Child Abuse & Restitution

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *