Visitor Question

Our tormented son shot himself…

Submitted By: Kathy (Ketchiakn, AK)

Our son was in love with a women who left her abuser after 9 years. They moved in together and the person broke into our son’s home, beating him. Our son refused to press charges because “he was a high school friend”. The person drove up and down the road the night our son shot himself and died.

The person was tormenting our son as soon as his girlfriend’s restraining order ended. I believe our son simply was so kind and couldn’t take it anymore and shot himself. I don’t care if we see a dime from this but we want the person who did this pay and squirm. Can we file a lawsuit against this person? What can we do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Kathy,

We’re so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, you will be hard-pressed to succeed in what would be called a “wrongful death” lawsuit against the abuser. To succeed, you would need credible evidence the abuser’s actions directly and proximately caused your son’s death. That’s going to be quite difficult.

Unless your son sought psychological or psychiatric counseling or treatment, and that counseling was based on your son’s fear of the abuser, you will have a very difficult time coming up with enough evidence to have any chance of prevailing in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Speak with the woman with whom he lived. She may be able to shed some light on the reason your son committed suicide. Although her testimony may be credible, it probably won’t be enough to be the basis of a successful wrongful death lawsuit.

Unfortunately, from the information you’ve presented there doesn’t seem to be any evidence sufficient to proceed with a case against the abuser.

Learn more here: Wrongful Death Lawsuits

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck!


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *