Visitor Question

Permanent partial impairment after slipping off a platform…

Submitted By: John (Fayetteville, NC)

I was returning to the platform where I work from when I was injured. I stepped up and my foot slipped off due to slipperiness of the platform, and I came down on the side of my ankle.

My ankle had previously been injured on the job about a year and a half prior, doing the same job but with a different set up due to remodeling and new equipment. The prior injury happened in September 2013, and I had surgery for it on February 29, 2014.

The doctor they assigned me to for this current injury gave me a Permanent Partial Impairment (PPI) rating of 15%.

I was wondering what would be a fair settlement for the lost wages and pain I had to endure for 5 months? I also lost my vehicle because I couldn’t afford to pay taxes and registration after I lost my wages. What am I entitled to? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear John,

You are entitled to have your medical bills paid as well as about two-thirds of your lost wages. Workers’ compensation laws do not allow insurance companies to compensate an injured worker for his or her pain and suffering.

The insurance company should pay the above bills and lost wages as long as you can prove this injury clearly happened on the job during the normal course of your job duties. From the facts you present, that doesn’t appear to be an issue.

Whether or not the insurance company will pay you any additional settlement amount will entirely depend on your physician’s decision as to whether or not the percentage of your partial disability has great increased.

If so, you may be entitled to a settlement amount. If not, you will only be entitled to reimbursement or direct payment of your medical and/or chiropractic bills, out-of-pocket expenses, and about two-thirds of your lost wages.

Learn more here: Slip and Falls

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *