Visitor Question

Put in ICU after given overdose of medication in hospital…

Submitted By: Harriatt (Ellenton, FL)

I had knee replacement surgery and afterwards I was back in my room. The nurse brought pain medicine and injected it into my IV line. About two hours later another nurse came and injected more pain meds directly into my vein. Then about two hour later I was given asleep aid. I went into arrest for overdose of medications.

We have records by two other doctors who were on call in stating I was over medicated. I was in the intensive care unit (ICU) for 4 days on a respirator. Yes, I am very thankful to be alive! But I think I have some side effects from the episode, breathing problems, etc. Should I look into this? How would I determine if I have a case for something like this, along with long-term effects of the overdose? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Harriatt,

You seem to have the basis of a solid medical malpractice claim against the hospital. You don’t seem to have a claim against the doctors. The nurses are the ones who appeared to have acted negligently. You may have a legal claim against them, but they’re likely to be indemnified by the hospital. If you want to pursue a malpractice claim against the hospital you’ll need an experienced attorney. Do not attempt to represent yourself. That would be a recipe for disaster.

Most personal injury attorneys do not charge for initial office consultations. Gather copies of all your medical records and make appointments with several law offices. Ultimately choose one you have confidence in.

In the interim you would be best served not to speak with any hospital representatives or their insurance company. Certainly refuse to sign any documents until you’ve spoken with an attorney. The only exception would be signing a document which would be needed to medically treat you.

Learn more here: Medication Errors

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *