Visitor Question

Question About Workmans Compensation Doctors…

Submitted By: Aubrey (PA)

I have a questions about Workmans Compensation doctors. I have been to two different doctors and they both have different opinions. One doctor says I shouldn’t have surgery and the other says that surgery is needed.

So I think the only way to know what to do is to get a third doctor’s opinion to break the tie. Do I have the right to get a third doctor’s opinion under workers comp?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Aubrey,

Yes. The procedure in the State of Pennsylvania as in most states allows a person who either doesn’t agree with one or two physicians’ diagnosis and prognosis to seek a third medical opinion.

This is accomplished by contacting your employer or the employer’s human resources personnel division. You should tell them of your dilemma and they should give you a list of several, usually 3 – 4 new physicians. You can choose one from their list.

Workers Compensation Regulations state in circumstances like yours the employer can choose the additional physicians and you will be able to choose one form the list.

Learn more here: Workers Comp Doctors & IMEs

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *