Visitor Question

Signing insurance release for injuries while driving my father’s car?

Submitted By: A (Florida)

I was involved in a car accident in Florida. I was stopped and got hit from behind, pushing me into the car in front. I was injured.

I am not the owner of the car I was driving at the time, nor am I the main person listed on the insurance policy. My father owns the car and is the main person on the insurance. I am just listed under him on the registration, allowing me to drive the vehicle and also have coverage under his name.

When signing the injury release form from the at-fault driver’s insurance company, does my father have to sign the paper as well for the form to be in affect? Or is just my signature and the witness (insurance agent) signature that is needed? Is there anything else I need to know about signing the release? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear A,

Your father is not under a legal obligation to sign the release. However, unless he does, the insurance company may not pay the claim. Insurance companies want to be sure anyone related to the claim releases the insurance company for injuries and property damage occurring as a result of their insured’s negligence.

Because the car belonged to your father, it is logical the insurance company will require his signature on the release.

You should know, once you sign the release you will not be entitled to pursue the negligent driver and/or his or her insurance company for ANY further medical bills, property damage, out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages, or future pain and suffering.

As a result, you need to be sure you are fully healed, or have reached a level of maximum medical improvement proportionate to the amount of compensation necessary to pay for your treatment and recovery.

Learn more here: Accepting the Settlement Offer

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *