Visitor Question

Slip and Fall in a Church…

Submitted By: Anonymous (Sanford, NC)

I was in a Holy Communion Church service and went in the kitchen to put the service items away. I slipped and fell in the kitchen. The floor was wet, it had been mopped during the service but there was no sign out (such as, “Wet Floor”). I had been attending this Church for approximately 23 years.

I’m wondering, will the insurance company give me a settlement without an attorney? They are paying my hospital bills but they have not offered me anything for pain and suffering. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Sorry to hear of your fall. The settlement amount will normally include payment for your actual damages and your out of pocket expenses.

Those actual damages might be:

• Costs of ambulance • Emergency room • Doctors’ care • Hospital bill

The out-of-pocket expenses might be:

• Parking lots costs • Medications • Gasoline used for Drs’appointments • And other similar expenses.

The only way you will know if the insurance company is going to pay an additional amount for the pain and suffering you endured is to ask them. If they ask you how much you are seeking, a good rule of thumb would be about 3 times the amount of your medical, but not your out-of-pocket expenses.

It is highly improbable that the insurance company will agree to pay you any amount for pain and suffering. But you will not know unless you ask.

If the insurance company refuses to pay for pain and suffering you have two choices:

1. Sue the insurance company in Small Claims Court; or 2. Hire an Attorney to negotiate a settlement for you.

If you are not sure which path to take, contact a local qualified Personal Injury Attorney. Most Personal Injury Attorneys will not charge a fee for sitting down with you to review your case and your legal options.

Learn more here: Claims Against Churches/Synagogues

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

Best of luck with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *