Visitor Question

Slipped at Work and Hurt My Knees…

Submitted By: Alexandra (Hammond, IN)

I’m a dental assistant and was at work assisting the doctor in the exam room. I guess my manager had mopped our lab and I didn’t know. She didn’t tell anyone the floor was wet and didn’t put any caution sign up or anything. So the doctor was done with her procedure and I had to pick up the contaminated instruments from the room and take them to the lab. I was walking in the lab and slipped and hit the floor, landing on my knees.

My manager then made me get up, which I was having trouble doing, and keep working while I was limping around. I went to the ER and they took x-rays which showed that the fall made me develop some fluid in my knee. What should I do? I’m not sure how bad my knees will be from this fall, and I feel like my manager shouldn’t have forced me to keep working.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Alexandra,

Your manager didn’t “force” you to

keep working. How she “made you get up” is difficult to comprehend.

You could have stayed on the floor if you wanted. You chose to get up because you wanted to. There is no evidence your manager employed any illegal or inappropriate method to make you get up.

If your employer carried workers compensation insurance contact the insurance company and file a claim. Once you do you will be referred to one of the company’s claims adjusters and the company’s approved doctors.

If the doctor believes you have suffered knee injuries she will either treat you herself or refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon. That doctor will assess you. If there is fluid on your knee(s) that fluid may have to be drained.

That procedure is expensive and can be very uncomfortable.

Your workers compensation insurance plan will pay for any medical procedures the doctor requires.

In the alternative, if your employer didn’t have workers compensation insurance tell the manager your are injured and want to know the name of your employers insurance company. You need that information so you can file a claim.

If for any reason your employer refuses to assist you it will be necessary for you to consider legal action.

Learn more here: Ankle or Knee Injuries at Work

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *