Visitor Question

State Prison Not Providing Timely Medical Care…

Submitted By: Anonymous (Ogden, UT, USA)

My son is an inmate at the Utah State Prison. He was working with The Wild Horses Program and while at work on Feb 15, 2012 he was bucked off one of the horses and broke his arm. They have still not gotten him to the hospital to have it put in a cast. They told him they only have video conferences with the University of Utah hospital doctors on Mondays and it happened to be a holiday, so he has waited yet another week to be seen.

He did get that video conference yesterday, but has yet to be seen by the doctors and we are going on two weeks since the accident. I was wondering if there was anything I or anyone else can do to get him the care he needs for his arm? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

There is something you can do. Contact the Warden’s Office and lodge a complaint. Do so in writing, by certified letter, and in person if possible.

Include in that complaint the proof you and your son have confirming the broken arm. If it is at all possible to include a copy of the x-rays taken when his broken arm was first diagnosed, include those as well.

If your efforts with the Warden’s office fail there are two distinct and separate groups which support Utah prisoners’ rights. Contact them and see if they will intervene on your son’s behalf.

The names, addresses and telephone numbers of those support groups are as follows:

Prisoner Information Network (PIN) P.O. Box 165171 Salt Lake City, UT 84116 (801) 359-3589

Prison Fellowship Utah P.O. Box 1976 Orem, UT 84057 801-691-0414

If these efforts do not result in securing the medical attention your son requires you can always consider retaining an attorney to file suit.

Learn more here: Jail and Prison Inmate Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *