Visitor Question

Suing for Emotional Abuse?

Submitted By: Kate (NYC, NY)

Three years ago I was contacted by a man through a social network. After several months of speaking, I discovered that he was lying about his identity. He begged for another chance, and I reluctantly continued speaking with him. He lavished me with gifts, compliments and endless promises. Yet, I found out again that he was lying about his identity.

He would “steal” the lives of strangers/friends and use their life stories as his own. He told me that he had lost his son and wife in an accident and was simply looking for someone to talk to. I have a big heart and felt terrible for his loss.

This has now continued for three years. After several empty promises, the relationship suddenly became emotionally abusive. He told me that he was Schizophrenic and preyed upon my emotions through manipulation and deceit. To this day, I do not know his true identity. I recently moved to NYC for a job and he introduced me to a friend of his. The situation became increasingly bizarre and I began to think that this “friend” was involved in this game.

This experience has left me very damaged, confused and emotionally scarred. There must be some kind of legal action that can prevent him from preying upon other women. I know of two other women that he has contacted in the same manner.

Is there anything that can be done?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Kate,

Normally our advice is limited to Personal Injury and Workmans Compensation matters. Because you have asked for our help we will do our best to assist you.

Remember what has happened is not your fault. If this person, through deceit or misrepresentation, has misappropriated funds from you he has in all probability committed a serious criminal offense.

Further, if the same person through deceit or misrepresentation has taken advantage of you in a physical manner he may be similarly liable for even a more serious felony criminal offense.

In your efforts to protect others from being taken advantage of we strongly urge you to report your experiences to your local police department CAPERS Division (Crimes Against Persons Division). CAPERS is thoroughly familiar with such cases and investigates them consistently.

In any event we urge you to refrain from any contact with this individual for any reason.

Learn more here: Domestic Violence

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *