Visitor Question

Tripped and fell on a sidewalk…

Submitted By: Nancy (Nashville,TN)

I fell on the sidewalk of restaurant because of uneven, dim lighting. There were bumps in the sidewalk due to tree roots. I skinned my total kneecap, hurt my knee joint, and aggravated my hip (piriformus muscle). I’m currently receiving chiropractic treatments along with advanced muscle performance (ARP) therapy, which is intense and painful. So far I have used $3,500 of an allowed $5,000.

What happens if my treatment goes above the allowed $5,000? Shouldn’t the restaurant be responsible for paying for all my treatment? Also, are they supposed to give an amount for pain and suffering? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Nancy,

It appears the restaurant has accepted liability for your injuries. That’s a very good start. From the facts you present, you should be entitled to an amount required to treat your injuries, regardless of their costs.

The exception would be if you have already accepted the $5,000.00 from the insurance company and signed a release. If you signed a release you will likely not be able to recover any more compensation than the $5,000.00 you have already received.

In the alternative, if you haven’t signed a release, you should be entitled to the amount of compensation necessary to cover your medical and chiropractic bills, out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages, and yes…compensation for your pain and suffering as well. A common method used when deciding how much to demand for settlement is to multiply the amount of medical and/or chiropractic bills by anywhere from 1 – 5 times or more.

For soft tissue injuries like yours, multiplying your medical bills by three (3) would not be an unreasonable settlement demand.

Tell the insurance company adjuster assigned to your claim that you expect the insurance company to cover all the above costs. If the adjuster balks, tell him you intend to seek the counsel of a personal injury attorney. Often telling the insurance company you intend to seek legal representation, if the claim can’t be settled fairly, is enough to prompt a settlement.

Learn more here: Sidewalk Accidents & Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

One comment on “Tripped and fell on a sidewalk…

  1. Debra says:

    I had a fall in Sept 2016. Due to that same fall, I fell again in Oct 2017 with severe injuries. Then I fell again in March 2018. My left foot will continue to turn inwards at any time for the rest of my life.

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *