Visitor Question

Tripped at end of moving walkway in airport terminal…

Submitted By: Mara (Camano Island, WA)

While traveling home to Washington State (November 2015) I tripped at the end of a moving walkway in Houston Bush (HIA) Airport and suffered a ruptured disk in my cervical spine. I’ve had extensive medical costs for MRI, physical therapy, and referral to an Orthopedic Surgeon. Additionally I am unable to do household upkeep and now need help.

I have spent months trying to get information from the airport about possible insurance coverage. They do not respond. Do I have a case to file a claim? What can I do to get this claim moving and get a response from the airport? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Mara,


George Bush Intercontinental Airport (HIA) is owned by the City of Houston. However, the airport is managed and operated by the Houston Airport System Administration, whose offices are located at 16930 JFK Boulevard at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

While you can send all the letters you want to the City of Houston or the Houston Airport System Administration, it is likely you will continue to be frustrated with their lack of response.

A ruptured disk in your cervical spine is a very serious injury. Serious injury claims should almost always be handled by an experienced personal injury attorney. Without legal representation you will likely continue to be frustrated with the lack of response. An attorney will be able to locate the proper authority, begin the claims process, and force action.

Personal injury attorneys have the ability to subpoena documents, take depositions of personnel related to the claim, witnesses, and others familiar with the event.

An issue of great importance is the statute of limitations. In personal injury claims the statute of limitations is the time period in which an injured party has to either settle a claim or file a lawsuit. Once that time expires, if the injured party fails to settle her injury claim or file a lawsuit, she loses the right to pursue compensation from the party who caused the injury.

The Statute of Limitations in the State of Washington for personal injury claims is three (3) years. To read the statute in it’s entirety, go to:

Washington Revised Statutes, Section 4.16.080

Learn more here: Premises Liability Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *