Visitor Question

Tripped on Uneven Sidewalk at My Kids’ School and Broke My Arm…

Submitted By: Kellee (Logansport, Indiana)

I was leaving my children’s school and my hands were full carrying papers and such. I caught my shoe on what I now know was an uneven sidewalk and fell right on my left shoulder. When I finally made it to my car I was able to drive to the ER using my right arm. After X-rays I was told I broke my arm near my shoulder.

I am a single mom and I’m self employed as a hairdresser. I’m on Medicaid but I was told I’ll be unable to work for at least 6 weeks. Could I receive any compensation for loss of wages? I will have no income at all. What can I do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Kellee,

You seem to have a credible personal injury claim against the school. Presuming the sidewalk was on school property, or the city required the school to maintain the sidewalk, you will have a legitimate “tort claim” against the school district.

Pursuing a personal injury claim against a governmental entity is different from an injury claim against a private entity. Ask the school office for a copy of their tort injury claim form. Each state has a different term for the form. There is a unique filing period for a tort claim. Be sure to find out from the school the time limitation for filing your claim. If you miss the deadline you may be barred from pursuing your claim.

Some personal injury tort claims can be handled without an attorney. These generally are “soft tissue” cases involving sprains, strains, minor cuts and bruises, etc. A broken shoulder is not considered a soft tissue injury. It’s much more serious. As a result you will need an experienced personal injury attorney. Most won’t charge for initial office consultations. Bring copies of your medical records when you go to each appointment.

Learn more here: Sidewalk Accidents & Injury Claims

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *