Visitor Question

Violently assaulted on public school grounds by autistic boy?

Submitted By: Debbie (Crestline, CA)

I was violently assaulted when verbally redirecting a violent autistic student for assaulting another school employee.

He lunged at me and was very strong.

I fought back with self defense techniques and was physically assaulted as I struggled. Biting, scratching, etc. No one came to my aid but just stood there and watched.

Finally three male school employees tried to restrain the boy and they were scratched and bitten too. Do I have any recourse in this situation? Who is responsible for my medical bills… the school, the boy’s parents? What can I do? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Debbie,

From the facts you present we will assume at the time of the assault you were a school employee. As a school employee you are entitled to full medical, chiropractic, and even dental bill reimbursement for your injuries, and related damages. This reimbursement will be paid pursuant to workers compensation guidelines in place for the State of California.

For purposes of workers comp, your “damages” can include out of pocket expenses for prescription and over the counter medications, crutches, slings, costs of transportation to and from treatment, and about 2/3rds of your lost wages for the time you are treating and recovering.

Unfortunately, under workers’ compensation laws, you are not entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, also called emotional distress.

You also have a separate cause of action, or injury claim against the boy’s parents. California law holds parents of minor children responsible for the acts or omissions of their children when those actions or omissions result in injury or undue harm to third parties.

Presuming the young man was a minor at the time of the assault, his parents can be held responsible for your medical, chiropractic, or dental bills, out of pocket expenses, all your lost wages, and an additional amount for your pain and suffering.

Learn more here: Felony Assault & Battery

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *