Visitor Question

What are federal employees’ benefits after retirement?

Submitted By: Patricia (Johnson City, Tennessee)

I worked as a nursing assistant at the Veterans Hospital in Tennessee. I hurt my back in 2000/2002 (can’t remember the date). I filled out the forms and was sent to an Oothopedic doctor and a neurologist. I was then sent to a pain clinic, where I get injections in the back when the pain gets to be too much, such that the regular pain medicine does not help.

I was told I could not work on the floors as a nursing assistant any more. I am not allowed to lift, pull, or push. The VA then assigned me to a desk job, as a clerk. I have to get up and move around since I can’t sit long because of my back. Workmans Comp has always paid the medical bills.

I have been going to the pain center for the past 10 to 12 years, and will always need to see them. I am going to retire with 40 years of service on 1-10-14.

My question is, will the VA (workmans comp) still pay for my medical bills once I retire, will they want to pay a lump sum, or will they just pay me so much a month? Any info you can give on how retirement is handled by workers comp would be great.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Patricia,

In Virginia, injured workers’ entitlements to weekly payments end when the worker reaches the age 65. There are 2 exceptions:

1) The first is if your disability arose while on a job where the normal retirement age is younger than 65 years. In that case, your worker’s weekly payments will end when you reach that retirement age.

2) The other exception is where the you became disabled within 2 years of reaching the age of 65.

In that case your entitlement to weekly payments would continue for a maximum of 2 years, even if that period is completed after you reached the age of 65.

You may be entitled to a lump sum. To be eligible you will have to have your treating physician confirm you have a permanent disability. In any event, your medical bills will continue to be paid during the time you are still receiving treatment for your on-the-job injuries.

Learn more here: Federal Workers' Compensation

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *