Visitor Question

What if injury prevents me from returning to my previous job?

Submitted By: Tammy (Kimberly , West Virginia)

I’m a 51 y/o LPN working in Home Health as a Field Clinician in West Virginia. I fell Jan 8, 2018 off a patient’s ice covered porch, injuring my right hip and lower back.

I have now been declared MMI as of June 28, 2018 and was told I will not be returning to my pre-injury job due to my physical limitations from the injury. I have pain every day, physical therapy helped some but the pain and limitations are worse now since it’s stopped.

Will WV workers comp provide education for me to return to work? What else can I do? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Tammy,

You may be eligible for West Virginia’s Vocational Rehabilitation Services.

Vocational rehabilitation is a training program for West Virginia workers who can no longer perform the duties of their former job due to injury and disability. Injured and disabled workers learn new professional skills, so they can find a job that suits their current abilities.

According to West Virginia law:

“It is the goal of rehabilitation to return injured (West Virginia) employees to employment which is comparable in work and pay to that which the individual performed prior to the injury. If a return to comparable work is not possible, the goal of rehabilitation is to return the individual to alternative suitable employment, using all possible alternatives of job modification, restructuring, reassignment and training, so that the individual will return to productivity with his or her employer or, if necessary, with another employer.

Be sure you’re getting the maximum payout allowable for your permanent partial disability by speaking with a workers’ comp attorney licensed in West Virginia. Most offer free initial consultations.

Learn more here: Slip and Falls at Work

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney.

Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call 888-972-0892.

We wish you the best with your claim,


How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation

Leave a Comment

Don’t ask a personal injury question here – comments are not reviewed by an attorney. Ask your question on this page. Required fields are marked *